Health Care Quality Symposium
12:00 noon – 2:00 p.m.
University of Michigan’s Palmer Commons, Forum Hall
Can quality improvement and cost savings go hand in hand? Michigan physicians and hospitals, working together in Collaborative Quality Initiatives sponsored by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network (BCBSM/BCN), are achieving outstanding results in both. For example:
- Hospital deaths following PCI (angioplasty) declined 32 percent over five years for six hospitals who joined the BCBSM Cardiovascular Consortium in 2002.
- Participants in the Michigan Surgical Quality Collaborative achieved a 29 percent reduction in ventilator-associated pneumonia-a total of over $13 million in savings- in just one year.
Learn how these groundbreaking initiatives are saving health care dollars and improving health care quality for the entire state. Leaders from BCBSM and the University of Michigan Health System share results and describe the model behind these powerful collaborations.
- Marianne Udow-Phillips, MHSA, Director, Center for Healthcare Research & Transformation
- Tom Simmer, M.D., Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, BCBSM
- David Share, M.D., MPH, Senior Associate Medical Director, Health Care Quality, CQI clinical lead, BCBSM
- John D. Birkmeyer, M.D., Professor of Surgery, UMHS, representing the Michigan Bariatric Surgery Collaborative
- Hitinder Singh Gurm, M.D., Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine, UMHS, representing the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Cardiovascular Consortium (BMC2)
- Darrell “Skip” Campbell, Jr., M.D., Chief of Clinical Affairs, UMHS, representing the Michigan Surgical Quality Collaborative
If you joined us on June 4, 2009 either at Palmer Commons or via our live webcast, we’d like to know your thoughts about the symposium. Please take a few moments to complete our online survey. Your feedback will help shape our future events.
Link to the CQI section at the Value Partnerships website:
This program is sponsored by the Center for Healthcare Research & Transformation, a non-profit partnership of the University of Michigan and and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan to promote evidence-based care delivery, improve population health, and expand access to care.